[Ti] Ti internal modem

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Tue Apr 29 08:42:50 PDT 2003

On 4/29/03 9:28 AM, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

> Bill Reburn typed this message on 4/28/03 7:19 PM:
>
>> When I connect using the Apple Internal Modem scripts, Internet Connect
>> reports a connection speed of 26400.
>
> Bill I get the same speed you do. The reason is the quality of the phone
> lines out here in the land "where the deer and the antelope roam." I
> actually haven't seen any antelope, but certainly a car going by on the
> dusty road becomes an event.
>
> There is just no other choice out here and until the next new thing comes
> (High Power Community Access WiFi?), I am stuck with it.
>
> jg

You make "out here" sound like the "Great White North", hahaha.. Where
exactly are you John?

I am very near downtown Wpg, no deer and antelope here!
I could see some older rural lines being a little noisier.. But not in the
city (well, within reason-obviously older neighbourhoods exist).. The tech
support guys said they couldn't 'see' any problems on their end (my isp is
the Manitoba Telco)... But obviously stopped short on sending someone around
to test the lines.

They DID tell me I wasn't available for adsl though and as Mr. Bigley stated
- the house I am buying in the next month or so MUST HAVE highspeed
connectivity. Cable and ADSL is pretty wide spread here.

I guess the answer I am receiving is that with the Apple Internal Modem
scripts I should be connecting at 56k.. The other settings are mysterious to
me, I haven't used Dial-Up for about 5 or 6 years.

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback. Thanks to Mr. Bigley for the
stats re:  adsl:dialup. I worked at an isp for a couple years in their
creative dept. so when we were producing financials and whatnot - the true
numbers were there. The ratio is staggering.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada