[Ti][OT] Missing...

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Wed Apr 30 06:37:55 PDT 2003

On 4/30/03 3:20 AM, "Christopher Murphy" <chris at fallt.com> wrote:

> Dear Bill,
>
> OUCH! As a designer to read this:
>
> <I don't buy the 'missing artwork' component of not buying CD's. Personally
> I find about 98% of it completely useless. What kind of value is there in
> an eight page glossy piece of paper that gets bent corners and scratches
> every time you pull it out of the jewel case?>
>
> It's the contribution that these slices of artwork make to our visual
> culture that's important. In a survey a few years ago, when asked
> to name 'an important piece of British Art', The Beatles' 'Sgt. Peppers
> Lonely Hearts Club Band' was voted in the top ten.
>
> Some 'useless' classics whose influence has been felt beyond the confines
> of an eight page booklet (with bent corners): Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew';
> Santana's 'Abraxas'; Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'; and virtually any
> cover by Miles Reid for Blue Note...
>
> What worries me - never mind as a designer, as a cultural historian - is
> that we're losing a whole slice of visual culture.
>
> Take care,
>
> Christopher

Christopher,

I totally agree! I don't find many CD liners worth mentioning which is why I
said 98% of them (we're talking CD liners, not album art) are useless, not
all. Often they're filled with label/management garbage - how to buy some
shirt or hat with the labels logo on it or how to get to the website and buy
the same. More often today, the bands have absolutely NOTHING to do with
those CD liners.

Now you're talking about something completely different with album artwork.
Back in the day musicians and labels used to employ real artists, designers
or even themselves to build these amazing images. Making a huge visual
impact on culture and often emphasizing statements or scenery built by the
music contained within. All of the titles you mention are from the vinyl
era, many of those albums in CD reproduction have their artwork reduced and
diminshed even further.

I have a 15 year collection of vinyl that reaches pretty far back. The drop
off of that creative component of music and visual culture has been fading
at an increasing pace for years. Maybe that's disappointing to you now, I
have been disappointed since CD's were released.

Glad to hear I am not the only one noticing this.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada