[Ti] Which airport card alternative?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Wed Aug 6 09:33:57 PDT 2003

On 8/6/03 10:40, "Steve Hartong" <shartong at naperinsure.com> wrote:

> The card has 2.4 Ghz printed on it.  I guess you don't have one.  Huh.
>
> For $60 its worth the try.  Everybody keeps telling me that the "g" isn't
> faster than the "b", but all I know is what I see.  It is incredibly faster.
>
> I am not restricted by my internet hookup.  I have the widest bandwidth you
> can get through a cable modem.  Maybe it is just the external antenna on the
> PC card?  Compared to Apple's built-in Airport card/software on my Ti it
> screams.

It's faster on a LAN but I don't believe it on a Cable modem.

I stand corrected on the 5 vs 2.4 Ghz. However I stand by the statement that
you will not get faster throughput than what your internet connection is and
there is NO home internet connection that¹s faster than 11 Mb/s that I know
of. If you think you have one then I'd like to know where its at and who's
the provider. I've seen some business class DSL with 3-7 MB/s download but
I've never heard of this with a Cable modem.

The 11 MB/s is roughly equivalent to T-1 speeds. You're telling me you're
getting better than T-1 Speed on your cable modem?

It's very possible the better reception of the newer card is a factor. I
find that my Ti airport card throughput sucks if it's more than 10-15 feet
away from an APBS.
--
Jesse

"If it be the chief point of friendship to comply with a friends motions and
inclinations, the dog possesses this in eminent degree: he lies down when I
sit and walks when I walk, which is more than many good friends can pretend
to do." -A. Pope