[Ti] Previous on-the-cusp-of-new-models purchases

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 20:57:50 PDT 2003

>Just a note that will make you nuts: One lady just got her new iBook
>"package" from me (thanks to a grant) and loves it although she is not
>a computer "nut" and has to ask me over and over how to do this or
>that....they also just gave her a Palm Tungsten. Then lo and behold,
>another department of the "institution" gave her another new laptop
>with a 17" screen. She was upset because she has no idea what to do
>with one computer let alone all these computers or where they get the
>money for them! She is the last person to need two computers.
>And you thought the economy was bad! :-)

Yeah, I see wasted money on computers every day.  Our state's (GA) lottery funds provide schools with a technology budget - the caveat is that the money can only be spent on hardware that costs more than $1000.  No peripherals, no support personnel salaries, only computers.  My department makes these huge purchases with Dell, just assuming that everyone will want a new computer.  The 30% of my department on macs refuse these machines, so the computers just sit around until another one breaks down and they replace it.  SO much wasted money. Elementary and High Schools get lots of computers - macs and pc's that they can't use because noone can support them - outside the big city the school system budgets can't afford tech support.  Just no common sense in all of this, especially since we are in a hiring and raise freeze in the state.  I'm sure there will be another pallet of Dell desktops with flat panel monitors arriving soon.  At least we won't be short of monitors and doors!
 tops....

Sorry for the rant, folks.

Peter

pkrug at mac.com