[Ti] about isight

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Aug 21 13:00:24 PDT 2003

We just got two of them and I'm having a great time with the
technology.  iChatAV is still in beta, so the feature set isn't fully
implemented, but what in place is working incredibly well.  The
software is very stable.  As for the camera, it exudes quality from the
very first touch.  The brushed aluminum design is nice.  I've seen
several "web cams" that feel cheap and have marginal optics.  The
iSight camera is top drawer.  I especially like how you can rotate the
lens ring at the front of the camera and close the lens, yet the
built-in microphone continues to work.  I also like the way iChatAV can
tell what's happening with the camera and present that information on
screen.  I guess this level of integration with software is a nice
feature that's part of any FireWire device.  USB-based cameras can only
wish to be this good.

In summary, I'd buy the iSight camera again without hesitation.  It is
a flawless, state-of-the-art execution.  Although in 3-5 years, we may
have more features on these kinds of products, it's works great and
looks great now.  It will look really good with my G5, when it finally
arrives in September (I hope).

Ron Woodland