[Ti] dead cdrom on TI500 - what are my options

Lee Wilmeth lw at wilmeth.net
Sun Aug 24 07:26:02 PDT 2003

One other place to purchase an internal Superdrive or Combo drive for
self install would be Other World Computing.

http://eshop.macsales.com/link.cfm?id=338-9967

I've purchased items from them for years and have never been
disappointed.

Lee

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 08:38 PM, mac2 mail wrote:

> I have a TI 500 with the stock CDROM/DVD-ROM drive which has recently
> died.  It will accept a cd then in a few seconds, eject it.  When the
> cd is in the drive, the drive never spins up.  I will probably keep
> this system for another 9-12 months and definately need some type of
> optical drive.  If for nothing else, Panther will be out in September
> and I want to load that.  I feel that I have (2) options:
>
> 1. get the drive replaced with another oem drive
> 2. get an external drive
>
> If I go with option (1), I would not want to send the unit off.  I
> have upgraded the ram in this system and have r&r'ed the oem 20gb
> drive with a 60gb one.  If a person with these skills could replace
> the optical drive, this would probably be a good option.  I couldn't
> live with out my powerbook for any amount of time so sending it off is
> not an option for me.
>
> If I go with option (2), in addition to the cdrom/dvd-rom, I would
> like to be able to burn cdrom's.  It is my understanding that Apple's
> dvd burning software only works with certain dvd writers, so it is
> probably best if I just wait on burning DVD's till my next system.
> Also, it goes without saying that since I want to load Panther next
> month, I would need to be able boot off this external drive.

Lee Wilmeth, Computer Consultant
1104 Cypress CT
Mansfield, TX 76063-2608
817-905-9078