[Ti] How do I remove OS9 from Panther?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sat Dec 6 13:19:22 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:47 PM, Loren Schooley wrote:
> No, I said "zeroing" speeds it up IMMENSELY, not "erasing" OS9. You
> can re-add OS9, but zero first. Perhaps you should give up the old
> wife's tale and get ya some young tale to get you back up to speed ;-)

Perhaps:-)  But I fail to see what zeroing the drive does as far as
picking up speed on I/O to the disk.  The only possible benefit is
having data that's 100% contiguous.  But again, experience has shown
that that doesn't make any difference with OS X.  Operating system
files are static, ie. they don't change and therefore don't contribute
to fragmentation of the filesystem.  It's your user data that's
constantly being written and deleted that contributes to that.  Easiest
and safest way to defragment a unix filesystem is to copy all the user
(volatile) data to an external source, delete it locally, then copy it
back.  I can virtually guarantee you'll get the same performance as
zeroing the drive, even though it's not zero'd.  And the performance
hit from a filesystem that's say 15% fragmented is so minimal that it's
barely discernible.  So IMMENSE gains in I/O times to the disk just
aren't there.  Especially in laptops where you're normally dealing with
sub-7200 rpm drives, and the drive's read/write head is easily able to
keep up with the design limitations of the drive's small disk spinning
at 5400 rpm.

> Actually, OS9 DOES slow things down, because of all the time it takes
> to explain why ya still use it. :-)

It actually speeds things up dramatically when you have software you
need, with no OS X support, and the only other alternative is a Windows
version of the software in VPC.

>> I've installed Panther on perhaps 20-30 machines now for various
>> clients and people, some with OS 9, some without.  There's no
>> technical or practical reason, nor any indication in my real world
>> experience, that removing OS 9 from the system speeds things up.
>
> Agreed.

Well, at least we agree on *something*, Loren.  That's a start!!
--
Chris