gateway SET in Jaguar

Dr Trevor J. Hutley hutley_tj at jic.edu.sa
Mon Dec 15 21:53:49 PST 2003

I was trying to find a way to access my POP mail accounts from behind
a firewall.
I could do this from my PC by setting the IP address of the firewall
as the default gateway (router), but there seemed no way to make the
same settings on my Powerbook in OS X/Jaguar.

The generous help from this List has enabled me - as a Unix newbie -
to use the Unix commands in Terminal to set the  router address to
the firewall IP address, and now I am able to access my POP mail
accounts through the firewall....

Quite impressive.

I used:

	% sudo route delete default
	% sudo route add default <ip address of firewall>

As with everything, easy when you know how.  Thank you for sharing
your knowledge.
It has really been very helpful.

regards,  Trevor