OT: House burglary tonight

Les Posen lesposen at optushome.com.au
Sat Dec 27 21:24:47 PST 2003

> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 05:19:13 +0800
> From: Phillip McGree <phil at phil.net.au>
> Subject: [Ti] OT: House burglary tonight
>
> My house got burgled tonight.
>
> I fell asleep really early tonight, whilst laying on my bed watching
> tv.  I didn't mean to doze off so early, and so hadn't locked the
> front door.
>
> I woke up at about 3:30am and noticed that there was someone in my
> bedroom (I live alone).  In that first few seconds I have recognised
> that there were two unfamiliar people in front of me, looking as
> startled as I was.

Given Phillip's story and my own reported here on list back in
November, it seems listas might pause a moment (this is the time of
year of lots of lost/stolen 'books), and consider how they would deal
with a theft - prevention and recovery, as well as backup.

Using .Mac I was able to have my current files backed up automatically
while I was working on them before my theft.

And I have investigated software that allows IP addresses to be
covertly sent should the thief, fence, or recipient log on to any ISP.

Probably one of the first things I will do when I get a replacement
'book, as well as install Timbuktu.

Who else can suggest protection mechanisms for an FAQ?

Les