[Ti] Dead Ti :-(

Jeffrey K. Lew jklew at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 3 14:08:55 PST 2003

>söndagen den 2 februari 2003 kl 11.12 skrev Jeffrey K. Lew:
>>  Holding the Ti's reset button in for more than a few seconds is
>>one of the ways to fry the logic board, per Apple. You're supposed
>>to push and release the button, then wait for 5 seconds, then
>>attempt to restart.
>This may or may not be true, but if it has any evil effects on any
>part of the Ti I would say that it must be with the newer versions
>which have the reset button under the keyboard.
>
>This assumption because I will remember that we had quite a few mail
>on this list where the the Ti wouldn't start and that the solution
>was that the reset button had got stuck being pushed in at the back
>and all it took was to get it out again and restart. None of these
>Tis seem to have had any remaining problems afterwards
>Lisbeth in Gothenburg

In that situation, the reset button was caught behind the casing, but
wasn't really pushed in all the way. Thus, the button was in a
hair-trigger condition. Moving the PowerBook might have flexed the
case enough to momentarily trigger the reset button. This was not a
case of the reset button being depressed for inordinate lengths of
time.

I'm talking about holding the reset button (not the main power button
like someone else thinks) for more than a few seconds. While Kynan
Shook's response about the PMU board is probably true, what I was
relating was a recent experience I had with an Apple engineer while I
was setting up a logic board replacement for my Ti400 (lost the
external L2 cache, just like the Lombards are experiencing). We went
through the usual steps regarding software issues and then hardware
issues. When I said I had held the reset button in for a few seconds,
the engineer sounded very concerned and wanted to know just how long
I had held it in, because if you hold it in too long, it would "fry
the logic board". I said less than five seconds.There was a pregnant
pause (probably the engineer typing in some comments), and then we
went on as usual with the rest of the diagnosis. I wasn't sure what
to make of it at the time, but I felt from the tone of things that I
would be risking a Tier 3 repair ($1000 as opposed to a flat-rate
$378) if I had said anything as long or longer than 10 seconds.

Jeff Lew
UCLA Atmospheric Sciences