[Ti] ergo virgo

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at hotkey.net.au
Wed Feb 5 16:05:29 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 07:26  AM, Kevin Hoth wrote:

> Wow, I didn't think my post could possibly ellicit such debate!  This
> is probably a good subject to discuss.

One factor which has not received much attention in this discussion is
that of the chair. I believe the type, positioning and adjustment of
the seating arrangement is just as important as the height and location
of the computer screen. I traced a condition of severe headaches after
several hours of computer working to my chair arrangement. It can be
very difficult to obtain the perfect chair configuration [if that is
even possible!] and despite all the other factors of screen height,
regular breaks and moving around, etc if the chair is not right for you
when you are working you may accelerate the onset of physical problems.
A good ergonomic adjustable chair is worth its weight in gold! [Even
tho it may cost as much!]

There are alternatives also. One is a padded wooden knee-rest thing on
which you kneel. This keeps your back straight as you work. Does have a
couple disadvantages - if your knees are not good then it may be
uncomfortable [altho the discomfort may force you to get up and move
about a bit more regularly which could be a good thing] and some people
may find it awkward to fit into.
Second, and this is what I now use and thoroughly recommend is the
Swiss Ball. Balancing on this at your desk requires you to constantly
microadjust your position which constantly exercises your whole
lumbar/spine/thigh region. Takes a bit of getting used to a first when
sitting and standing up but then I believe it is first rate.

And let us not get into the shoulder positioning - unnaturally pushed
up because of chair arms or keyboard height, or naturally falling
downward.

Just a thought. All this ergonomic stuff has been gone into by the
typist generation. Remember them?!! Find yourself an experienced
typist, probably now middleaged and retired, and they will have some
pointers for you.

Just my 2c.

Cheers

Peter Sealy