[Ti] ergonomica

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Wed Feb 5 17:19:03 PST 2003

Well, I spend often 12-14 hours a day at my Ti500 -- on the built-in
keyboard and trackpad.  I have done so for nearly two years now.

Some things that I notice about my position is that:

1) My hands are basically straight from my elbows to my fingers, so my hands
aren't parallel (and perpendicular to the long axis of the keyboard).  I
don't know if I did that for some reason (I'm also a piano player and have
fairly long fingers) or if nobody ever "corrected" me, but it is very
comfortable, and I still type nearly 100 WPM when I'm really cranking on
code.

2) My thumbs actually go over the top corners of the trackpad, so I'm not
getting near the trackpad as I type, and it is nearly a vertical movement
for me to move my right (or left) hand to the trackpad -- the thumb on the
button, the index finger over the trackpad.

3) I'm fairly comfortable with my powerbook on my lap, both for reading and
typing.  I often have to take my watch off though as it does brush against
the bottom left corner of the powerbook as I'm typing.

4) My screen is *slightly* farther away than a book would be on my lap, but
the text is larger so they appear pretty close to being the same.

Ergonomically, I'm probably not in the "ideal" position, but then as someone
else pointed out, the ideal position for one person may not be ideal for
another.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver