[Ti] Re : Fan noise on tiBook 867

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Feb 6 08:34:15 PST 2003

Glenn,

We own somewhat - completely different machines from the problem he is
having. Your 500 and my 550 have completely different cooling needs.

The 867/Ghz machines deployed some new fan layout that causes one or both
fans to be on a lot. Roald, visit some of the Mac forums (MacNN), many
people had problems that Apple has dealt with.. Some I think (not including
you in this statemnet) are too sensitive an have gotten no where.

Since I got my iCurve (not selling anything here Mr. Ameeti), my Ti runs
cooler in a very noticeable way. My regular use would have the 1st stage fan
on often (lightweight Quark, Illustrator work), with the 2nd stage kicking
in when I am really pushing it (prev. mentioned apps with Photoshop and now
InDesign plus browsers and email). After I dropped in the stand (right in
the middle of a huge project too), I noticed a large shift in the amount of
work I would get done before the 1st stage fan even came on! Before the
stand, I had days of working 6 hours+ with the 2nd stage fan buzzing away
uninterrupted. That 2nd stage fan comes on maybe 10-20% of the time now with
the exact same workload.

ANYWAY, as I mentioned the 867/Ghz machines actually have two fans in them -
of which I believe it is normal for one to be running almost all the time.
Considering you have TWICE the processor of Glenn and I - shouldn't be too
alarming.

On 2/6/03 8:00 AM, "Glenn L. Austin" <glenn at austin-home.com> wrote:

> on 2/6/2003 3:09 AM, Roald Baudoux at roald.baudoux at brutele.be wrote:
>
>> I have bought the same machine a few days ago and have the same problem
>> even while using a Griffin iCurve stand. I guess the fan would'nt function
>> so often if there was a way to lower the temperature of the machine. Any
>> idea to to this?
>
> Take more breaks? ;-)
>
> Seriously, the fan on my Ti500 rarely comes on even when I'm compiling tons
> of code, but then I also have it on a Podium Coolpad 24x7.  I also make sure
> that the cooling vents on the bottom/back/sides remain uncovered, and if the
> fan comes on, I often flip down the door on the back at that time to help
> improve airflow.

Bill Reburn