TiBook queries

paul watkins hamok at easynet.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 09:58:26 PST 2003

Thanks to the groups for help with my earlier mails about problems with
a tibook which woundnt work out of the box.

I took my old buggy tibook back to John Lewis ( a shop in London) who
gave me a refund. The reason I didn’t do that straight away was that I
needed a computer urgently- I put an order in for the new one at the
same time as sending the other one back to apple, and was delivered the
replacement 4 weeks later, just as I was billed for the earlier one,
which the shop very kindly put on suspense, before giving me a refund
when they got the first one shipped by apple.

I had very serious problems with apple support- over 30 incidents were
logged in their db about the repair and return of the tibook. However
it was all nicely resolved when they offered me a free full applecare
plan- so I’m happy now.

I asked the list hether I should get the 12 inch book – and had a
response (thanks, Mark Booth) that it doesn’t have the PCMCIA card
slot. Very important for me, as I use a digital camera, so I stuck with
the Tibook. Because I got the 2nd tibook after macworld, I saved £300,
so was able to get the extra memory as suggested by Yuta (Thankyou).
the machine is great- better than I had hoped, and I'm loving Itunes
and Imovie.

One OT query, and I can’t find an answer via any usual means – and I’m
using OSX
My word docs – office for X are sent to my work’s windows address –
when they arrive, outlook says that no application will open .doc.bin
docs. This happens when I use apple Mail. If I send the same doc via
entourage, the document gets compressed and then it is readable at the
other end.

Now I switched to mac because I don’t like to use MS products, so don’t
want to use entourage- is there any way mail can do the compression
that entourage performs?

If not, I can stick with entourage but just for sending myself docs for
further editing/distribution via windows – can I get word to associate
the “send to” command with entourage rather than mail? If I can- then I
can use entourage just for my WP mails to my office, and stick with
Mail for all other correspondence.

Another thing …. Pdf downloads via safari always get opened in preview,
even tho I told acrobat I wanted it to be my default pdf viewer – any
way to fix that?

The only thing I’m not happy with is isync with the T68 phone –
calendars only sync 8 weeks ahead (full calendar on an IR PC link), and
you can’t put street addresses on the phone – hopefully apple will fix
that soon. (and also the phone is not much good, but that’s not apple’s
fault.)

Finally – I think it would be good to have one of those Dummies/Wizard
books on OSX – is there any one which stands out- esp for a powerbook
user- they all look much the same from a casual browse?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Paul Watkins