[Ti] Software Update everybody

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Fri Feb 14 19:03:46 PST 2003

I feel your pain - to an extent.

But you aren't running OS X Server on your Ti, are you?  If Apple wants
to compete head-to-head in the enterprise space, then yeah, they ought
to try to deliver the kind of behavior you're looking for.

But you're not *just* running BSD on that TiBook and I think it is
unrealistic for you to expect the same kind of experience you've had in
the Unix world.  If you want to be able to patch your system and not
reboot, you surely could accomplish that with a PPC variant of Linux,
right?  :)  If not, why be surprised (or bothered) that you have to
reboot when you patch OS X?

As far as running OS X Server on servers - I couldn't do it either -
especially couldn't until they began offering a bundled hardware RAID
solution.  Now that the XRaid is out I could consider it hardware-wise,
but I'll have to see some performance and reliability reviews from
people who run *real* production systems before I take a chance on it.