[Ti] DSL

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 17:18:23 PST 2003

On 2/17/03 12:42, "Simon Chapman" <sc at pr100.com> wrote:

> Everything works fine with internet sharing at present but I would like to
> know if I can just plug the new DSL modem into the base station, reset my
> location prefs and start my new high-speed life.... I also need to keep an
> external 56k modem wired to the 7500 so that I can use it for faxing and
> hopefully I will be able to use the same phone line as the DSL once a
> splitter has been fitted....

Well, yes and no.

Yes you can just plug your airport into the DSl modem via the ethernet port.
You will then have to configure the internet preferences of base station for
PPOE to work with the DSL modem.

I'm assuming an older AP with only a single Enet port.

This now presents a problem with the hardwired 7500. You cannot have a PPOE
connection and a NAT DHCP server on the same ENet port even using a hub. So
NO you can't use the 7500 in a hardwired mode in this configuration.

You will need to get some sort of wireless access PCI device for the
7500(cheapest solution)  or a dual Ethernet (Snow) Base station or some
other wireless routing device with a WAN port and a (mutliple)LAN port such
as a Linksys or D-Link wireless router.

HTH,

Jesse
(digging out from under 26 inches of snow in northern Virginia  :-)