[Ti] [OT] Quark on OSX(Classic)

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Feb 21 08:17:54 PST 2003

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 03:32  pm, Bill Reburn wrote:

thanks for that Bill,

I have used Quark (one of my first , and very much loved,  apps on a
Mac) when I was learning about computers, but I'm a Developer/Tech
Support guy so it's really useful to have input from someone who has
used it so much :)

> It all comes down to what you're doing I guess.. If you only need part
> time
> Quark work done (say, less than a cpl hours a day) - Classic will
> probably
> be fine for you.

just spoke to our creative studio -- they are all 10+ hours a day
Quarkheads.

> Some of the problems I had were;
>
> - OSX didn't support some of the PostScript printers we used (more a X
> problem, but I couldn't use Quark so.. Boot to 9 for printing)

did you get the problem where the printer spews out some Postcript
error message? I have this problem printing to the HP laserjet 4050N
next to my desk from OSX on my Ti..

> - Screen redraw is annoying as heck. We pay sooo much money for our
> displays
> and work environment - to have a software glitch screw over your
> document
> display on a regular basis was too much to deal with. I had to click
> the
> Quark doc's window widget everytime I did something in another app so
> that
> it would finish the redraw.

ACK -- nasty

> - Screen artifacts.. Part of the redraw problem - move a document
> around and
> artifacts stick all over the place. Window widget again to clean up.

hmm getting the idea...

> - Fonts between OSX and Classic are kind of easy to deal with.. But a
> hassle. ATM doesn't work in X, but it does in Classic.. If you have
> font
> problems boot back to 9.
>
> - KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS are pooched in many instances. There are some
> hacks and
> shareware to deal with this.. but why? Boot back to 9.
>
> - PDF output is mental. Running Distiller in Classic is sooooooooooooo
> slow.. Boot back to 9. (I built a lot of pdf's)
>

> There are a few more.. But you can see that after having to deal with
> these
> things, they take a serious chunk of time out of your workflow. Time I
> never
> had to waste anyway. I also use my gear to make $ and if I am wasting
> it on
> troubleshooting well.. OS9 is just too easy a choice right now.

The big problem is that lowest spec G4 we just bought is the dual 1 Gig
machine, so that wont even boot into 9 afaik!

sounds like this is gonna get nasty...

for the record we have Express 4.1.1 here...

I've just picked up a magazine called "print Media management" off one
of the Quark kids' desks. TIme to start reading up about Adobe ID...

--
Tarik