[Ti] a Mac OS X/Windows dual booting machine

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 25 10:21:02 PST 2003

According to Bill Reburn:

>If a valid attempt was made at doing this again today with say a modern
>Intel chip, VPC would dry up and blow away (or at least linger for the
>hangers-on like RamDoubler users).

Yes, I agree. But the deal is VPC is only a 286 MX emulator, and as
such, does quite well. Starting from a 'saved state' still involves
booting VPC, loading the image into it, and watching the XP OS draw
its startup screen. I mentioned the speed of it, not in terms of
theoretical fairness, but to illustrate that in 'real world' working
conditions [which for me seem to rule out saving one's setup, config,
workflow in anything but a 'saved' state], the reality is my 'saved'
images are, for all intents and purposes 'cold', in that they aren't
using RAM or any CPU cycles, at all. I realize that a 'saved' state
isn't technically a cold boot, but in the real world i haven't seen
any logical reason to save, or quit, the VPC app in any other manner.

Obviously my results would be far different if I had VPC as a Login
item and booted the Mac, from a truly cold state. But that, too,
would seem totally illogical...'fair' perhaps, but not what  I would
consider a practical, real-world test. One thing I love about 'our'
platform is that booting from a 'cold' state is not a daily [or
worse] requirement, so why should I tie one 'hand behind the back' of
the Mac in order to give PCs a chance? I'm not interested in
'fairness' as much as getting the work done. I have a few big apps in
Mac and Windows, and there's no doubt that my Mac can run them, or
most of them, faster, so... I use the Mac versions. For me, VPC is a
'last resort' proposition.

Back in the old days, although I had no need for it, I was always
curious about the Orange boards, and what it would be like to run a
PC inside a Mac. I wasn't intending to 'compare' the 7 year old tech
with newer things, just mentioned it because the emulator, that VPC
is, has come a long ways, that's all.

~flipper