[Ti] copying disc to HD (was BigAl battery life)

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Sun Feb 23 18:15:41 PST 2003

On 4/23/03 5:00 PM, "Steve Wozniak" <steve at woz.org> wrote:

> At 12:15 AM +0100 4/24/03, Selwyn Ward wrote:
>
>> How do you do that?  I've often tried copying discs whole to the HD (DVDs,
>> games & other program discs) but they always still seem to demand the disc
>> be in the drive or they don't run.
>
> (the following is from a friend)
>
> Well, it's doable, but time consuming.
>
> First, RIP the DVD to a folder using DVD backup. This typically takes about
> 1/2 of the runtime of the movie. (Faster on newer DVD-r drives...)
>
> Then run one of the DVD to DiVX converters on the folder.
> Make sure you remove any DVD-ROM content first! (There should only be 2
> folders on the DVD - VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.)
>

> The DVD to DiVX converters are ... (very buggy)
>   DivXRay
>   forty-two
>   etc ...

I use forty-two directly on the dvd in the drive.  I love it, because it
just runs in the background.  It takes about 8 hours to do a dvd-- so I'll
start one when I get to work, then start another when I get home.  I hope to
have my whole dvd collection divxed within a couple months.  The only
problem with the latest release is it thinks it's already expired, so you
have to set your date back to use it (thus the old date on all my emails)

--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
President, Contractor Services, LLC.
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook