with respect

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue Jan 7 08:35:57 PST 2003

At 09:24 -0700 7-1-2003, Ron Woodland wrote:
>The rationale is that you must have a obtained an illegal copy of
>the DVD because no one would ever buy a DVD in Europe then bring it
>to the US, right?  I understand the theory, and I respect the issue
>of copyright protection of intellectual property.  I adhere to it
>personally and expect others to respect my rights of ownership of my
>original work as well.

Ron - with respect, I think it is less to do with copyright, but more
to do with big corporations trying to control the flow and price of
their product.

If I buy a DVD while I am in the USA, for 50% of the price in some
other (European) country, why is that a copyright issue?  I don't see
it as one, as I have bought a legitimate copy at market prices where
I was shopping.  Why should I not be allowed to play that DVD in
international (region-free?) airspace, on my way home?

If I get a DVD in the UK because it is released there first and play
it at home in Switzerland, how have I infringed copyright?  I am just
'distorting' the manufacturers plan to release it later in other
countries.

Let market forces rule on this one, I say.  Get rid of the region
coding now.  No flames please....!

Trevor