[OT] Wireless Base Stations

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Mon Jan 13 06:45:29 PST 2003

Hi all!  Sorry for the bit of [OT} but it's kinda Ti related... (not!)

I need some help.  Have some friends... She has a Gateway PC (Win 98), which
is connected to internet via cable modem.  The cable company ran the line
into the basement and then snaked the coax to her second-floor office, where
it goes into the cable modem and into her PC.  He just moved his fairly new
iMac (OSX) from his business into his office in another room in the house
(on another floor), and they want to get him internet connected, but their
house is not pre-wired for ethernet cabling.  Connecting the two computers
in a network is not a priority but would be acceptable.  Seems to me they
have two options:

1.  Move the cable modem to the basement, put the output though a router
there, and snake ethernet cables to the two rooms.
2.  Install an Airport card in the iMac, and install a Wireless Base Station
of some kind in series with the PC.

They really don't want to run wires.

Do you have any other suggestions?  How about suggestions as to WiFi Base
Stations that will be compatible with the Airport card in the iMac?

Thanks in advance for you expertise!

:-)

Pete