[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Fri Jan 17 11:16:24 PST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Michael Bigley wrote:

> >On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Michael Bigley wrote:
> >
> >>  >Most market share numbers are based on *sales* not *in-use*.
> >
> >So? Ultimnately those new sales will translate into market share.
> >
> >>  >Most in-use numbers show a 9-12% Macintosh usage share.  Remember, most
> >>  >Wintel machines are purchased as replacements within a 12-18 month period.
> >>  >
> >Even Macs don't last forever, and ultimately cn't run the latest Mac OS or
> >carry enough "umph" to run the latest applications.
> >
> >>  >The problem is that all these sales numbers assume that each machine is
> >>  >going into service as a new machine, not as a replacement for an existing
> >>  >machine.  All that they say is that there are 97-99 Wintel
> >>machines sold for
> >>  >every Macintosh sold.  This does not equal "market share" in spite of those
> >  > >people who would like it to mean that.
>
> First, be careful on your auto quoting; I did not say the above...

I didn't say that YOU said it - it was in your post - and I was relating
to its contents.

> Second, everyone is lamenting about this 2.3% number with no
> substantiated facts!  Has anyone actually confirmed this number to be
> accurate... based on what? Sales reported to IDC?  Isn't this numbers
> from wholesalers? Does it include Apple Store (online and
> brick/mortar)?  IDC's numbers have traditionally been bogus and
> biased when it comes to Apple.  When the iMac was the leading
> computer sold; they classified the different colors as different
> models so it lost the top spot...
>
> I will state it again: market share is near-meaningless statistic
> except to Marketing execs who need something to benchmark their
> bonuses... and bored reporters who need to continually attack Apple.
>
> Apple is selling BILLIONS of dollars worth of computers every year,
> the number of computers sold is increasing, and more importantly the
> number of hardware and software developers is growing by leaps and
> bounds.  The rest is all hype.

Now, you DID say the above, right?

Mind giving us the credible source for this? I also fail to see the
numbers there. So, if it's NOT 2.3% (down from 5%) - then what is it?

Let's stop deluding ourselves! Apple needs to do "something(s)" and soon
to become a compatible and mainstream computer platform. All the talk
about "Alfa Romeos and Porches" is merely flawed analogies! Apple needs
this change to survive and be a relevant computer NOT just in the eyes of
its dedicated followers but for the general computer using population.

Best,

Henry