[Ti] MS dropping Office for Mac

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Jan 21 20:14:52 PST 2003

>"They would be mad to.
>
>"1) Office for the Mac makes a bunch of money for MS, despite it not
>selling as well as MS would like (ie pricing).  Mac software just
>doesn't have the high tech support costs that Windows equivalents
>do."

I agree. My reference to Microsoft threats was in the mid-90s (as
Shawn pointed out, there was never an official announcement, but they
did publicly state they were "considering" dropping Mac versions).
This was during a fairly heavy Exodus of developers, perhaps more
importantly the number of peripherals that were supporting Macs was
becoming miniscule.

The Mac Business Unit of Microsoft is quite profitable today, and
that considering they are also developing IE, which is a giveaway. In
fact, pointing out the success of M$ MBU would be good evidence to
put in front of companies like DeLorme, who think there isn't a
business model in developing Mac software.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com