[Ti] best e-mail program

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Thu Jan 23 09:00:27 PST 2003

At 4:47 PM +0000 1/23/03, Robert Nicholson wrote:

>What is wrong with Mail.app?
>
>The only thing is doesn't do for me is allow me to copy messages from one online folder to a local folder without locking up.

I haven't tried Mail for very long. Early bugs knocked me off of it right away. Later I tried to switch and it quit working. Recently I brought up a new TiBook (fresh software) and set up tons of mailboxes and filters, but I couldn't get what I needed the most.

Long ago, as my email increased to rather large levels (8 hours a day) my fingers started getting wearied of dragging items to appropriate archive folders. Even with a lot of filtering, I can only alleviate this problem to a certain extent. If I switch to Mail I'll put up with that.

But with Eudora, you can create a clickable button in the button bar for any menu item. I set up lots of buttons, vertically is with early BBEdit button bars, for transferring items I'm reading to the appropriate folders. This way, I can transfer an email message to a desired folder with a single click. It really is a noticeable relief. I can even save Spam in a Spam folder as easily as deleting it.

Further, the Eudora button bar can include AppleScripts that I place in Eudora's Scripts folder. I have scripts for more complex actions like forwarding mail to my assistant, sending email with a copy to my assistant, sending to jok.e lists, and more.

With Mail I did manage to write scripts to move email to desired folders, but haven't yet found the way to make this a one-click action.

With Mail I did not find a way, with AppleScript, to forward an email to my assistant. I could forward the text but not the attachments. I'm still working on this however, as time permits.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)