[Ti] Battery Question

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed Jan 29 09:51:21 PST 2003

At 9:55 AM -0800 1/28/03, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>At 6:31 PM +0100 1/28/03, Daniel Borge wrote:
>
>>My original Ti800 battery is No: A1012 14.4 V
>
>Part of the confusion with our battery threads is that the part
>number (M8244G/B for example) is specified by Apple in the online
>product specs, but the battery itself only denotes the model number
>(A1012 14.4V for example).

I think that there is more going on than that.  I think that for one
thing that the service part numbers/model numbers are different than
the original part numbers/model.  Also, I am not sure that the
voltages listed in the referenced document are correct. Or maybe the
batteries are marked wrong.

For example, the original battery that came in my Ti800/DVI is Model
M8511, Part number 825-5588-A and is clearly marked 14.4V.  According
to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=16168 , the gigabit
ethernet and DVI models should be 16.6V.  Maybe Apple shipped me the
wrong battery, but it seems to work.

>Well, at least the 17" PowerBook appears to use the same battery.
>This is quite an unexpected relief for me, and it guarantees that
>15" replacement batteries will be around for some time.
>--

I Hope this is true also.  On the day of the announcement, I found
something on Apple's site implying that they were different.  Now I
can't find it, so maybe we are OK.

     Sherman