[Ti] With PowerBook G4 and OS X, which Sprintpcs cell phone to enable

Chris Malanga tibook at chrismalanga.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 15 06:39:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:17:41 -0500, Chris Cargen
<chris at hospitalityamerica.com>  wrote:

> I'd like to purchase a new cell phone for use on Sprint that will
> enable me
> to access my PowerBook G4 to access the Internet. I am way behind the
> knowledge curve on what I need, so are there any PowerLista's out
> there that
> can assist me?

Sure, I can give it a shot.

> Any specific Sprint cell phone recommendations?

I would recommend the Handspring Treo 300 (it's a Palm/phone combo).  I
love it because you can access the net right from the phone too.  Plus,
I HATE carrying two devices.  One beef... don't put it in a pocket with
change or anything else, or get a carrying case.  Mine is all scratched
up because I didn't do that.  It works just fine, it just looks like
hell.

You will need a wireless modem driver.  I recommend the one at
www.notifymail.com.  It is well worth the money.

If you travel a lot, I would by a USB cable that charges the phone as
you use it, otherwise you'll have a dead battery quickly if you use the
'net a lot. You can get those for about $10 on ebay.  I got mine from
www.eforcity.com

> Do I need a special PCMIA card? If so what do I ask for at a Sprint
> store or
> do I have to purchase that elsewhere?

The PCMCIA cards are way cool, but alas, they are PC only.

> Do I need to purchase a special Sprint plan to enable this?

You will need a plan with unlimited PCS Vision.  That enables this to
happen and you don't get charged extra for using the internet.

Now, I have heard around the net that Sprint may be limiting access to
the internet using the phone as a modem.  When I bought my phone, that
was one of the selling points from the salesperson.  I would make sure
and ask the question.

> Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

No problem.  Feel free and email me if you have any further questions.
I can be reached at tibook at chrismalanga.fastmail.fm.

Chris Malanga