Ti 400 HDD Upgrade Report

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Jul 21 12:39:46 PDT 2003

Hi listees :)

I am very pleased to report that the HDD upgrade (to a new IBM
Travelstar 40 gig) went smoothly.

It was straightforward, if rather fiddly. The hard part is getting the
plastic semi sheath to hold in place while you attach the rubber screw
holders to the assembly and slowly lower the whole thing into the tight
fitting spot and hope the rubber thingies don't fall off (they are not
a tight fit).

Anyway I got there in the end with the help of a couple of friends and
a Swiss Army Cybertool, and forgot to take the 2 left hand side screws
off the original 10 gig drive, so I have 2 extra Torx screws and a new
drive held in by 2 instead of 4.  Oh well.

Seems to work fine though, and my 10 gig drive is now in my Momobay :)

I'm now holding fort with Apple hardware (except for an iSight) until I
see a G5 Powerbook from Palo Alto.

Also the first time I am properly using my new 15 GB iPod (right now) -
the cradle is a wonderful addition and nice and simple, not the usual
horrible bulky thing I am used to with PocketPC's and Palms. The line
out also addresses the sound quality issue -- and boy does it sound
good right now! I no longer have to rely on my low-fi TiBook Audio
stage!

I went to Browse --> Genre --> and held down the select button on
"Latin Jazz" (to add to Playlist-to-go) , and now I have  a playlist
shuffling that genre of music for me. Simple but fun!

until next time,

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com

PS I'd like to read a review of the iSight, a friend of mine just got
one and he says it's amazing.