TiBook/400 Battery Burned Out :(

Leo D. Venezuela levenezu at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 28 05:53:15 PDT 2003

Just wanted to ask the forum if anyone's experienced a burned out
battery on a TiBook.

Last night, I had some difficulty in waking up my PB from sleep. It
took me quite a while to finally get it up and running (by holding on
to the power key for some time) with the AC adapter attached. It
restarted. I thought it was just some temporary glitch. But after
that, while working away on my TiBook, I decided to move locations, I
pulled the AC adapter plugged and the notebook just died. Sensing
that something was wrong with the battery, I removed it. Near the
contacts portion of the battery, I noticed black burn marks on the
plastic portion of the battery around the contacts. It also had a
burned out odor. Sh#t! My battery just got deep-fried! :(

Some observations and questions:

1. I can now run the PB only when it's attached to the AC adapter.
What could've caused the battery to burn out? Was it a short circuit?
What could've caused it? I remember holding it exposed (not in a bag
or case) while walking in a light drizzle for less than five minutes
(office to parking lot) last week. Could this be the culprit? If so,
why wasn't the effect immediate?
2. I also notice that the left front (where the AC adapter is plugged
to the PB) and center front under sections of the notebook get
unusually hot. Is it just me or is the extra heat a symptom of
running the TiBook without a battery? Or does it mean that there's
something wrong with my computer other than the battery? Other than
the resetting date and time, I haven't found anything wrong with it
when it's in operation (late last night and the whole day today).
2. The date and time reset to 1970 even when I properly shut down the
machine before unplugging the AC adapter. Doesn't the TiBook have
some internal battery that will keep the time and date settings
current even without the battery attached?

Luckily, I have an extra battery with me that I can easily put into
the TiBook but I'm afraid that there might be something wrong with
the machine and installing it might again fry it.

Advice and inputs from a list member who has experienced this similar
situation would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

--

L  e  o   D.   V  e  n  e  z  u  e  l  a
email: ldven at i-manila.com.ph
mobile email: levenezu at globextm.com.ph
mobile: +63 922 369 7958
fax: +1 413 826 2738