[Ti] Videoconferencing, anyone?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 08:46:30 PDT 2003

On 7/29/03 4:40, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 09:26  am, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>
>> At 10:48 PM -0400 7/28/03, Murray Kastner wrote:
>>
>>> My girlfriend's son is going to Hong Kong for a year (to design and
>>> build a new city, I am told...) and I wondered if anyone has had some
>>> hands-on experience with it. I would imagine he'll be set up to do it
>>> between head office in NYC and his HK office. I have a 17" Big Al
>>> with a Meg of RAM. I believe that I have the requisite software
>>> available from Apple?
>>
>> This is not very clear to me. It sounds like he will be using existing
>> teleconferencing equipment and you are asking if he can use it with
>> you, on your Big Al. I would guess that such equipment uses the more
>> currently common protocol (???), while iChat AV uses a newer protocol,
>> and they are not compatible.
>>

> My company has just won a major contract to provide marketing and
> advertising fora large organization located around 300 miles away.
>
> I have been asked by senior management about Videoconferencing options.
> I told them that a "board room to board room" pro solution will cost
> near to 10K to implement (well over their budget) and mentioned Apple's
> new venture in this area -- we are testing iChatAV this morning and
> i'll let you know how it goes :)

Ok folks, if you want a "cross platform" solution that also includes
collaboration (sharing files, whiteboard, multimedia) then you need to check
out Wave3software.com which produces "Session" videoconferencing software.

At around $150 per seat, it is not expensive and it works on any broadband
connection. And yes I used to work there - about 3 years ago.

This sw is designed for the enterprise and can use any firewire camera
including the iSight.

There is no H.323 (Videoconferencing standard) gateway yet but there is one
planned.

Talk to Brice Kennedy at 858-404-5510 and he'll give you the scoop or put
you in touch with someone who can.

http://WWW.Wave3software.com

--
Jesse

"I would rather see the portrait of a dog I know, than all the allegorical
paintings they can show me in the world."  - Samuel Johnson