[Ti] Upgraded Hard Drive in Big Al - problems

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Sun Jun 1 04:12:08 PDT 2003

At 10:00 PM -0700 2003.05.31, Photios Dumont wrote:
>So, taking Steve's advice of using Carbon Copy Cloner, I decided to format
>the drive back to one partition using Disk Utility. This is what I wanted
>all along was one partition to begin with. Oh geez! Disk Utility reports
>that I don't have an 80gb drive, but a 137gb drive (usable space of 128gb).
>Fiddling around with two partitions using disk utility, I finally got a 74
>gb partition that actually mounts and a 54 gb partition that won't mount
>-BECAUSE  it doesn't exist!!! What's going on here???? I carbon copied my
>60gb drive to the 74gb partition and everything copied. I tried booting
>externally with the 74 gb partition and everyting works, and no more kernal
>panics upon logging out or restarting.
>
>So, I have a dilemma... Do I trust this partition and toss my 80gb drive
>back into big al? I'm concerned as to why disk utility swears it's 128gb. My
>other option is to put the 80gb back into big al, run disk utility and
>format to one partition (internally, the computer reports the drive as being
>80gb), pop the drive out again, put the 60 gb back in and clone the 60gb to
>the 80gb externally, and then put the 80gb back into big al. Seems like a
>lot!!! Maybe I don't need the 80gb externally to clone the 60,  but I tried
>it this way when I first started all this stuff and the process failed.
>Maybe that had nothing to do with anything! All this trouble for a measly
>20gb!!!

Yes, I also remember getting an invalid disk size. But it didn't happen this way every time.  It is odd that these problems are so obvious but I get told by Apple that 80 GB drives work fine.

Here's how I made it to 80 GB internally. I lucked out because this was my first attempt. I installed a new 80 GB drive in my Big Al and booted on the Big Al System Software DVD to [format] it. I then booted on my original 60 GB drive in an external firewire enclosure. I ran CCC from this external drive and copied it to the new one.

WARNING: Don't try copies or Finder actions with both drives named the same, with OS X. This applies to USB drives and camera media cards as well as firewire drives and your internal drive. I have been hosed a few times making this 'mistake'.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)