[Ti] Need help with PCMCIA memory card reader

Bryan Taylor bryan.taylor at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jun 1 16:41:15 PDT 2003

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 12:29  AM, Steve Martin wrote:

> I've been having similar problems with a PC Card CompactFlash reader on
> my 500Mhz TiBook with 10.2.6.  When the PC Card is inserted, the mouse
> becomes a little sluggish and everything is locked up.  If I eject it
> forcibly I get a kernel panic.
>
> But, if I shutdown the PowerBook, insert the PC Card then boot, it
> works fine and iPhoto launches and can import the pictures and
> everything.  It is only the "live insert" that fails.
>
> It worked fine several releases ago, but I don't know for sure when it
> started misbehaving.  One time after the crash lots of applications
> were pretty severely messed up and I had random kernel panics on
> restart so I ended up having to reinstall the OS.

Ouch.
What is on the compact flash, just pictures?
Does it still occur if you've reformatted it on the camera?
If you have the console log in view does it demonstrate automount
errors?

  I ask this because I have no problems on my Ti667 (non-DVI), although
it does take around 20-30secs to display the 'powershot' icon on the
desktop & fire up iPhoto, even with only 3Mb of pictures on the card.
I'm running 10.2.6 without OS9 installed, with 1Gb ram, Kingston PC
card adapter & SanDisk 96Mb card.

cheers
Bryan