[Ti] Keyboard/Screen protection on 17"?

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Jun 10 23:04:21 PDT 2003

He's right.  When I first got my PowerBook G4/500, it took several
weeks to get the first keyboard marks; when I had the display replaced,
it took just a day to get remarked.  For that matter, I haven't seen a
single case of screen marks that aren't removable; if you use the right
stuff, and work hard enough at it, you can wipe them off.  Maybe if you
let them build up for a year or two, I suppose...  But I've worked on
literally hundreds of PowerBooks, so I've seen almost everything.

But if you think about it, many of the solutions–a cloth, a piece of
paper, the foam that the computer shipped with–involve putting MORE
material between the screen and the keyboard to rub against the screen.
  Especially the ones like the paper and foam, which won't spread out
the pressure much.  The big difference is the lack of skin oils.

John B. Crane <jbcrane at cranedigital.com> writes:
> FWIW, I had the "genius" at the Apple Store tell me that my Lombard's
> screen was "etched" because of the oils on my fingers coming in contact
> with the screen when closed, pressing against the keys. I don't know if
> I buy that... I'm sure that might ad to it, but I believe if the screen
> comes in contact with _anything_ during closed transport, it'll leave a
> mark.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html