[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

Jesse Girard jess at girardrubber.com
Tue Jun 17 15:14:41 PDT 2003

Hi Sherman:

Why would you want to use a web browser for ftp? It's such a restrictive
way to do it. If you need non-anonymous (user/password-type) ftp you have
to struggle to create a URL with your user name and password. Then you have
issues with where the browser places your downloaded file, etc. Also I
don't think you can upload using any browser I've ever tried for Windows,
MacOS, or Linux environments.

There are some nice ftp clients for OS X. I seem to remember "Transmit" is
a good one. (Sorry, my TiBook is off for the moment so I can't check).

BTW, I agree that command-line ftp works perfectly in Terminal. If you're
used to command-line (that's all we had when I started with UNIX) it's the
same rock-solid protocol it's always been. UNIX rules, man....

Meanwhile, since we're off-topic anyway, when will Apple (or someone)
release a port of OS X to any other UNIX-capable hardware platform(s)? It
seems kind of ridiculous that hasn't happened yet, considering how *NIX
people like to play with their toys.

Jess Girard