Bluetooth/Clicker

Ben Cheng kenshin at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 06:59:16 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:46 AM, hamok at easynet.co.uk wrote:

> I insert the dlink thing, which sticks out the back (meaning I can?t
> leave it in place if I travel with the tibook, or even want to lock it
> away). I make the phone discoverable. I then switch BT on in the line
> in the top right hand corner of the screen. Nothing happens. I look to
> turn on the BT preferences in system preferences ? of course the pane
> isn?t there. So I have to find a way of getting it to appear, and the
> only way I can see is restart. ( Please help me here if I am missing
> something).

Whenever I remove my D-Link, I don't bother turning Bluetooth off.  But
when I plug the adapter back in, OSX automatically detects that it's
been plugged in and the menu gets turned back on.  Not exactly sure why
it seems like your computer isn't recognizing that the adapter is
there.  What version of the OS are you running?

> Then, tired of so much fun, I turn in for the evening. It seems that I
> have to turn off BT at the top right of the screen, before closing the
> lid on the PB (the time that I didn?t, I got a warning that I hadn?t
> removed the device properly, and it being late at night, I didn?t
> bother writing it down).

That's weird, my TiBook goes to sleep without a problem even if my
adapter is plugged in.  Doesn't complain.  Even if I have the Clicker
published on my phone.  When I wake it from sleep, the Clicker actually
acts like my phone just came into proximity and starts playing iTunes.

> So it seems to me clicker is a great app if you have a mac desktop,
> but not if you need to use your pb as a mobile computer. In order for
> it to be a real option for a mobile user, I think there would have to
> be a bt pcmcia card which could work on a pb (and so stay in place and
> so be "on" all the time), and looking at apple's bt forums, that does
> not seem to be on the horizon. And if clicker didn?t exist, I wouldn?t
> recommend a T68.

Well with the USB adapters ideally the OS is supposed to recognize that
the adapter is inserted.  Not sure why it's not recognizing yours but
that's not normal behavior.

-Ben