[Ti] Visio-equivalent for OS X?

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Thu Mar 6 12:41:34 PST 2003

At 10:19 AM -0800 3/4/03, Greg Noneman wrote:
>I've been reading all the comments on ConceptDraw and OmniGraffle.
>I have experimented with both of them and have had some minor
>exposure (not favorable) to Visio on the PC.  Maybe it's just my
>familiarity with old tools, but I always find myself going back to
>running ClarisDraw under Classic.  Sure it doesn't have all the
>bells and whistles of the new applications, but I still find it to
>be the most straight-forward and intuitive drawing application that
>I have used.  I suspect I am not alone on this. I personally know
>several people who still rely on ClarisDraw and ClarisDraft.
>
>As it now seems that Apple is again devoting resources to
>application development, it sure would be nice to see an OS X native
>drawing tool with the power and elegant simplicity of
>Mac/ClarisDraw.  It probably won't ever happen, but I couldn't
>resist putting in my $.02.

I will jump in with a "Me Too" here.  I have used OmniGraffle for
some drawings, and for certain things it is great.  It makes great
org charts and simple block diagrams.  For more complex things I seem
to find it not doing what I want, and I seem to be looking for a work
around for some of its "features".  For detailed drawings, I find
ClarisDraw under Classic much easier and faster.  I would love an
updated ClarisDraw.  But I agree that it is highly unlikely.

Not being able to read Visio files is the biggest problem that I have
in being a rare Mac person in a Windows world.

    Sherman