[OT] Another Friday Feeling :(

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Mar 7 09:17:18 PST 2003

my dear Ti friends,

my first ever contact with accounting and accounting software was in
1998 when I was working as a summer intern in a small company who did
their accounting using the Quicken package.

I liked the "accounting for beginners" style it took and ended up using
it for some accounting of my own since then.

Yesterday I needed to get my accountant to look at the data and was
unsurprised that he doesn't use Quicken (it has never been a big
product in the UK where a system called SAGE dominates). "i'll just do
an export to CSV", I thought to myself...

Shock Horror! No Export to anything but QIF (Quicken Interchange
Format) -- a text file with a rather proprietary data format.

Next step was to look on the intuit website, who i figured would sell
me a convertor. No such luck. They avoid the issue of exporting from
quicken to anything but quicken.

Next step was to google for shareware scripts. I found a freeware
script that did work, but did the job badly (everything in a big long
list), and also a shareware script from bigredconsulting.com in the
form of an Addin that i was prepared to pay 50 dollars for, but in the
end downloaded the trial and found it doesn't work with the output from
my quicken 2002 deluxe export to QIF. Good job I hadn't paid for it
before I tested it!

I spent 2 years writing excel macros, so I could probably write a
script in a couple of hours to do it, but given the urgency (and room
for error)  of the situation I'd rather not.

<em>Can anyone help me?</em>

of course my romance with Intuit has come to an end (getting the US
software shipped to me even though they stopped releasing UK versions).
Time to leave Quicken behind and find new pastures to place my debits
and credits upon...

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue