Mail attachment problems

Les Posen lesposen at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 12 16:49:38 PST 2003

I posted the message below on the Mac OS X user list, but only got one
response, which I found an unsuitable workaround.

So perhaps those on the Ti list can bring a different set of resources
to my question, and apologies for cross-postings.

Original question:

Hi all!

I am persisting with Mail, but beginning to drift back into Eudora
usage.

I have attempted on a number of occasions to send MS Word and Excel
files to various recipients from Mail, only to have them say they are
unable to open the documents, or if they can they're mangled (in the
case of Excel.)

The Excel files were originally sent to me from Windows boxes, and
after filling in (taxes!) being mailed back to the same. I can open
them on my own Windows box after transferring them via the network, not
email, so the corruption takes place at the Mail side of things. To
confirm, I emailed the same files from both Mail and Eudora to Outlook
Express 5 in Virtual PC W98.

Eudora's opened as doc files, while Mail's came through as generic .dat
files, with W98 asking how it should open them. Wordpad opened the
Eudora-sent files.

Any ideas what Mail is doing, and where to go to change it, whatever it
is? I can get by using Mail to receive and take advantage of its Spam
technology, and send attachments from Eudora, but it's really a PITA to
do it that way. All help gleefully accepted.

Les

Les Posen/MEL					      Webmaster
Lposen (AIM/iChat)				Australian Psychological Society
P.O. Box 1229 						  (Victorian Branch)
St.Kilda South					       Virtual Reality Therapy
Australia 3182	  http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iMovieTheater1.html