[Ti] OS X woes

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Thu Mar 13 04:37:23 PST 2003

Harsh? Not at all... would saying that I can't open an organic synthesis
molecular- simulation site have met with your approval...rather
than the "lowly Backgammon"?

So - let me "bleat again" and try to focus on the problem at haind:

The issue is that updating OS-X's Java has cause a further  malfunction
and that an earlier installation of NN 7.0.1 in an OS-10.2 "environment"
has caused a previously perfectly functioning IE 5.2 to crash when dealing
with a Java-intensive site.

Now, my assumption is that this has to do with the operating system, since
reinstalling the IE 5.2 did nothing to rectify the situation. Also -
removing the prefs did not help.

The diagnostic/repair tools currently available for OS-X seem (to me) less
competent than the ones for OS 9 (and the preceding versions). OS-X, on
the other hand, seems (to me) more complex (with invisible files etc) and
less amendable to the techniques and "tinkering" methods I was able to use
when working with OS-9 (such as keeping
"canned recent versions" on an ext HD and simply copying them to the Int
HD to get a working OS when all else fails).

I hope this has clarified my concerns.

If you have any specific suggestions for this case - I'd be most grateful
to you as well as happy to try them out and report back to the list.

Best,

Henry