[Ti] Speaking of 17 inches ;-)

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Wed Mar 26 22:21:07 PST 2003

>At 6:47 PM -0800 3/25/03, Paul Russell wrote:
>>>I also like the ports being on the sides. In the past when working
>>>at the desk, I would have to stand up, close the lid and then
>>>connect or disconnect USB or Firewire, re-open the lid.
>>>

>>Me too - I like having a USB port on each side too - great for us
>>left-handed mousers...
>>

>I hate the ports on the sides.  It is the one thing that I really
>don't like about the 17-incher.  I connect to almost all of the
>ports when I am at home.  I have a DVI-ADC adaptor connected to a
>23" display. and I have to stretch the USB cable of the DVI-ADC
>adaptor from one side to the other because I am a right hand mouser.
>I also have Ethernet and Firewire also out right side.  I have Power
>and the USB from DVI-ADC adaptor out the left.  The bend radius of
>all of these cables takes a huge amount of desk space and is really
>ugly. With my 15" Ti, everything was in a nice neat bundle out the
>back. Overall the 17" machine takes twice the desk area.  With the
>Ti, the pro mouse cable was long enough to mouse from either side.

I put my 17 incher on a printer stand (the old kind that people used
to have for continuous feed stationery printers) on the desk. This
not only raises it up a few inches, bringing the screen to a more
ergonomic height, but it allows me to put a USB keyboard partly
underneath and I can also feed the various cables underneath the
stand and out the back.

Paul