[Ti] Viewing angle any better?

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 17:21:16 PST 2003

According to Simon Chapman:

>I'm just about to get a cheque from my insurance company for my old TiBook
>550 which was damaged 'beyond economical repair' according to the Apple
>Repair Centre, Germany. I'm wondering whether to get one of the current
>machines (867/1000 15in or 17in) or wait for the next upgrades. I
>especially want a better viewing angle than the 550 gave me since imho it's
>colour shifts made it almost unusable for Photoshop work. Can anyone tell
>me if the latest 15in models or the new 17in have improved the viewing
>angle? TIA.
>

>Simon

Everyone has their own opinion, but since I use a PowerBook, and
Photoshop [as well as many audio/video apps, etc], if it was me,I'd
buy the 15" and use the 1,000 dollar savings [over the 17"] to get a
LaCie electron22blue monitor.

I use one with my Ti-Book, and it is awesome, great color, from any
angle, flat, bright, completely useful as far as adjustment, and
tremendously easy on the eyes. [Can be set to 85hz with 'warm' white
points, for mega-hour viewing with no eye strain. The LCDs are just
not reliable, bright enough, or big enough [built-in, and the
external LCDs are still not good enough for intensive
monitor-to-print CYMK color management

My setup allows full-screen Photoshop on the LaCie, with all of the
'properties' windows parked on the laptop's LCD. Same goes for
setting up DVD Studio pro, Flash [all Macromedia apps, actually],
other adobe apps, Quark...in other words any application that
benefits from a large, accurate main viewing [pane, workspace, but
requires a few, to many, function-properties-type windows.

My choice: the 867 Ti, a great external monitor, maximum RAM in the
Ti. if the insurance deal is really good, in other words, better than
replacement cost, closer to new evaluation, then a 1 GIG Ti-Book
would be fine, but the difference between the 867 and 1 Gig won't be
noticeable in Photoshop. P-Shop rocks on a 667 with a megabyte of
RAM, as it is.

~flipper