transcoding MP3 to AAC

steve crandall esc at mac.com
Fri May 2 12:11:01 PDT 2003

Both are lossy formats and transcoding will sound worse than either (I
was involved in AAC development)..  If you are just listening with
Apple's speakers there shouldn't be too much of a difference with 128
kbps or higher on each, but you'll notice a serious difference if you
are using better speakers or headphones.  Particular problem areas will
be some harmonics ..  higher formants in singing, stringed instruments,
some organ music, flutes  -- will be particularly bad.

MP3 at 96 kbps is reasonably equivalent to MP3 @ 128 -> AAC at 128 or
above ...

I would re-rip.  If your audio system and/or ears can't tell a
difference either don't waste the time or re-rip at a lower setting to
gain the disk space.