[Ti] [OT} All this 'anti-piracy' stuff

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Sat May 3 14:52:34 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/3/2003 4:09:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, galahad9 at earthlink.net writes:

Flipper,

You know I enjoy your posts, but I have to disagree with you on a few points in this one.  You said:

> However, due to the nature of  recording contracts, none of the purchase price is finding its way back to the Artist, or their estate. Which serves to deflate the red herring of 'denying the struggling artist their due', which the companies also trot out in their offensive 'defense.<

That is simply not completely factual.  While there are users in the recording industry, most are great people.  A relative of mine is part owner of a national recording company.  In fact she and her company have spent millions nurturing new talent including, Green Day, the Donnas and other acts.  Her company is not an exception in my experience.  Don't believe tabloid headlines, most people in the recording industry are decent and honest.  They help build careers not destroy them because that is their business.  The millions they spend to develop acts comes from people who purchase the music, not steal it.

> Two wrongs do not make a right. I learned this as a child, and like to think we all did. I have also bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of music and software, on 'spec', only to find much of it lacking in value to me. So, why should i blindly continue this'wrongful', hurtful [to me] behavior, when it is possible to evaluate before a purchase?<

Most software companies have demos of their titles for people to try out.  I have borrowed a buddies computer to try out certain software.  At the University, I've told my students to go to the library or computer lab to check out software.  You don't have to copy it to try it out.  If you want to try it out contact the company and see if they have a demo.  Most of the time they do.  I agree that this is garbage out there but that still does not excuse theft.

> But where collusion exists between the 9th circuit, the  Supreme Court, regulators in the bureaucratic Gov't, the bought-and-paid-for-Congress, and Industry, well, the table is set for civil disobedience.<

Many politicians are liars and thieves.  I agree.  But that does not give you are anyone else the right to join their ranks.  We could make a difference by voting the dead wood out of office and get people in their who will enforce intellectual property rights laws.  We as a nation send a Congress to Washington that reflects our values.  Does that mean out values are immoral and unethical?  You want civil disobedience then change the way society works.  Stop intellectual property theft.

> Art has survived and at times, thrived, for thousands of years without Disney, AOL, and Sony. It is silly, and terribly cultural-centric to assume/fear otherwise.<

Flip, I don't know if you are an artist, but assuming you are you know that all ART is created by people of passion.  SONY, Disney and others know that.  That is the life blood of their corporate future.  I am not saying these companies are pure as the driven snow.  For god's sake I know they aren't.  What I am saying that we should not fall to the level of the worst among us.  I am saying there is NO excuse for lack of character, for theft of any kind.  We the people need to set higher standards.

MBurke