[Ti] Most expensive iTunes download (OT)

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Sat May 10 01:06:36 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 05:09  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> From: Colin Buttimer
>
>>> :-) iTunes does not care whether you are UK, US, EU, Japan, whatever
>>> resident we might think of. Only thing it cares is that the Credit
>>> Card
>>> you are going to use is US resident (billing address). Cannot arrange
>>> with a friend/relative in the US? maybe with a secured card? Very
>>> easy
>>> to do. (if you have that kind of friend that is).
>>>
>>> It might be the wait is not going to be *that* long to have to resort
>>> to these solutions.
>>
>> I missed the original message, which I see you edited down - but I
>> don't see
>> him mentioning much about the regional iTunes restrictions of the
>> Music
>> Store.. He's looking for something that has long been lost from the
>> sleeves
>> and liners of records and CD's. Yet another piece falling by the way
>> side.
> Thanks Massimo, but Bill is right - it's the loss of information
> that's my
> concern. The lack of both supporting textual information and graphics
> will
> prevent me virtually all of the time from using Apple's music store (I
> imagine if it's enabled for Europe then I might very occasionally buy
> the
> odd pop song but that's it). For people who are not bothered by the
> lack of
> non-musical data, the store seems a great service.
>
> Does the mp3/AAC format impose a limit on the amount of textual
> information
> you can include? I remember in the past that I've tried to input more
> than
> minimal info into an mp3 via iTunes and had it disappear upon
> returning to
> it.
>
> All the best,
>
> Colin.

Colin,

I misinterpreted you but it is also true that some have misinterpreted
Apple MusicStore limitation as well and even refrained from updating to
iTunes 4 because of living abroad, i.e. EU, basing that decision on the
information that the service is only supported in the US. And this from
people *having* US cards from the very beginning but with an overseas
residence. The information that it is not your physical location (IP
number of your computer) nor your citizenship taken into account made
for MucisStore to have some additional customers who would have been
otherwise lost because of lack or wrong information.

 From chat and or mailing lists on music stores, the rumors are that for
album downloads there would be in the future more graphical and textual
information included but for the time being those are just rumors. It
is nonetheless true that the service is a newborn and it has time to
grow and evolve. It is all record companies interest to allow Apple
satisfy demands from customers of the MusicStore: it is currently their
only hope for a source of profits from music download: I doubt they
will say NO to choral demands of MusicStore customers.

Cheers