[Ti] 667 MHz > 1 GHz

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Sat May 10 05:13:50 PDT 2003

On 5/10/03 5:59, "Christopher Murphy" <chris at fallt.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've just been bought a 1GHz TiBook by my university (lucky me!) and I'm
> wondering about the best way to move everything from my old (OS 9.2.2) 667
> MHz TiBook to the new OS X TiBook. I have a number of questions which I'd
> really appreciate advice on:

> 1. I need to take one of my 512 MB RAM sticks from my old book and put it
> into my new book. Is this easy to do oneself or would I safer using a
> professional Apple Store type place?

Totally a no-brainer with one caveat: make sure you discharge any static
charges by grounding yourself on something that is also grounded.

Just lift up the keyboard and there it is.

> 2. Should I do this before installing all the software onto the new book? Or
> can I get stuck into setting up the new machine now and worry about the RAM
> after it's set up?

Do it first to make sure everything  is ok hardware-wise.

> 3. My technician in the university installed PhotoShop on the new book, but
> didn't partition the drive. Under OS 9 I've always partitioned drives. Is
> this necessary under OS X or can I manage without partitioning?

Unnecessary unless you need a "Lunchbox".  Having a separate partition for
frequently changing contents is probably a good idea because of all the
fragmentation. I think that's probably  something more required for movie
making than Photoshop work.  You could always get an external firewire drive
if you needed that separate partition. They aren't that expensive these days
for a decent sized one.

 > I think that's it for now. Any help much appreciated.

Good luck.
--
Jesse

"If it be the chief point of friendship to comply with a friends motions and
inclinations, the dog possesses this in eminent degree: he lies down when I
sit and walks when I walk, which is more than many good friends can pretend
to do." -A. Pope