sound recording with built in mic? (Ti550)

Jennifer Landefeld jennsbl at mac.com
Tue May 13 11:35:51 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I feel I'm missing something obvious regarding sound input on my Ti550.

I can see under Sound>Input that the microphone is adequately picking
up my voice but, for the life of me, I cannot figure any way to do a
simple recording of spoken word (ideally to save in MP3 format for
playback on my iPod).

If nothing is available for *free* as part of the OS I'd appreciate the
most inexpensive suggestions that produce reasonably listenable
results. While I thoroughly enjoy high quality recordings of my music I
just plunked down the $$ for the 30gig iPod and that has stifled any
additional major purchases right now. (-:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=58448 <--- this article
shows an old version of the sound panel that actually allowed
recording. If this isn't something doable now in the OS can I use
iMovie to *just* record sound and produce an MP3 track of what I want
to read in for playback?

I'm on OS 10.2.6 - no 3rd party OS stuff to speak of (just the standard
major apps for the most part).

TIA,
Jenn