[Ti] [OT] iTunes 4 mp3 encoding question

John R McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Thu May 15 03:24:20 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 10:19  AM, Bill Reburn wrote:

>> Did you know that to rip audio from a CD you should be at 44.1 Khz?
>>
>> Previously if you forced it to use 48, it would introduce an extra
>> resampling phase between 44.1 and 48, for no good reason, and at
>> possible loss of fidelity.
>
> Interesting.. I have yet to come across a healthy enough resource to
> set my
> mind at ease in this area.. Thusly I had set everything to encode high,
> high, high. HD's are cheap - space is not a consideration. But if I
> could
> find the info to let me rip at ease without ever worrying aboot it - I
> would
> do it.

He's right; trust him. The 44.1 / 48 parameter is one where "just
picking the higher number because it must be better" does not follow
through with the expected results. SRC (Sample Rate Conversion), done
properly is a processor intensive task that FEW people are willing to
wait for when there are more streamlined (READ: lower quality)
algorithms to choose from. QuickTime SRC used to be NOTORIOUSLY bad.
Dunno about it now, I only do SRC on a a ProTools workstation or with
BarbaBatch software.

j mcd

John McDaniel      johnmcd at one.net
Sonic Arts Digital Audio Services, Inc.