[Ti] the new books

Joseph Fisher kzfisher at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 21:34:19 PDT 2003

On 5/21/03 10:15 PM, "Da Pen" <macstonelson at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings again!
>
> Thanks to all who have responded to my request for
> thoughts on the upgrade from a ti-book to al-book for
> my girlfriend - and my quantum leap from duo to
> al-book.
>
> About the hacks for OS9: does this work well, or is it
> too much of a pain to make it work?  I'd like to avoid
> upgrade $$$ for software wherever possible.
>
> What are the biggest troubles with the OSX?  Since
> I've been in OS 8.1 for years now, I've not followed
> issues with OSX.  Of course, this will be a learning
> curve (fairly steep, so I assume.)  I don't expect a
> total rundown of every OSX bug but what should I be
> aware of upfront when I first get to using it?
>
> Will someone who has made the switch from a ti-book to
> an al-book tell me their opinion of any "quality"
> differences they see in the hardware?  My girlfriend
> had quality probs with her ti-book and I'd like to
> reassure her it is a good move to spend the money.
>
> Thanks to all, Cheers! Dave

Shifting From OS 8.6 to OS X  I didn't feel there was a steep curve to the
switch for me but as an aid my suggestion is get David Pogue's Mac OS X "The
Missing Manual". I got it about a month after I had been using OS X.

I am sure there are some bugs specific to certain programs but I haven't
really experienced any myself. I had one kernal panic but I think that was
related to another issue. With OS X, when a program does crash it is in it's
own realm so it does not affect other programs or result in a total
powerbook restart. There's also the "force quit" option from the Finder for
a locked unresponsive program, again without the need to restart. Worth the
whole bank is no more extension conflicts or the whole extension mess. You
don't have extensions in OS X. The "Dock" is light years better than the
control strip. And internet and network setup is a breeze, this just to name
a couple of differences I find wonderful.

I still like having the option of Classic being available on my TiBook and I
still fire up OS 9.2 on occasion to use a few classic apps that I love to
use because of familiarity with them and for their lack of bloat (WriteNow
4.0 and More 3.1 are examples).

Hope this helps.

-- Joseph Fisher