[Ti] Files from Powermac 64000 to 867 TiBook?

cheshirekat cheshirekat at cheshirekat.com
Sun May 25 07:51:36 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003, Susan Rennie rennies at earthlink.net, invoked powers
within the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>A friend has just purchased a new Tibook (867 Mh/ 512). She needs to
>transfer files (mostly documents and Eudora mailboxes from her old
>desktop (a Powermac 6400 OS 8.6). The Powermac has an ethernet port.
>Will she be able to use a crossover cable and bring the files from
>the old computer to the new tiBook? Any special instructions or tips?

Check out Apple's Knowledge Base Article #106658 - How to Create a Small
Ethernet Network

Get longer ethernet cables than needed. I'd suggest using an ethernet hub
so that you have full use of each computer and can snag files in batches,
if there are a lot of them. I originally thought I'd transfer everything
quickly, but ended up keeping the network up so that I could run old apps
to check preferences and configurations. After the first transfer, it's
easy to create an alias of the old Mac in the Favorites folder. Read the
built-in HELP of OS X.

I think I skipped OS 8.6, so I don't know of any OS specific info. I was
using OS 9.04 on my 6400.

After setting up the network, be sure all files are accounted for on the
new TiBook before deleting from the old computer. It's an embarrassing
way to lose files. :) I had an external CD burner, so I burned the most
important files to CD, as a precaution before I began the transfer.

Remember that file sharing on the older Macs is painfully slow with other
applications and unnecessary extensions running. (At least, it was for me
with a 6400 w/G3 upgrade, ethernet and 136MB RAM.) But, once going,
ethernet is a speedy way to transfer files.

--
* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.5 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes 4 * WarCraft * The Sims *