[Ti] Apple's Future

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Mon May 26 15:26:57 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/26/2003 4:33:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, NaegeleWDC writes:

> Frankly, I am more than a bit amazed that some have made such an issue of it instead of providing substantive comments about two wonderful articles about Apple's future (i.e., the latest one and a previous one).  I guess some people are most interested in counting angels on the heads of pins.
>
> Steve adds:
>
> >I don't know about the article.
>
> Here's the non-subcriber link -- you might find the article
> interesting:

Tim,

If memory serves, you are an attorney.  So clearly you of all people appreciate others on this list who want to uphold the law even if viewed by some as over zealous.

Fact is the article was intersting.  But the concern Shawn King and Steve Wozniak expressed to your post is as interesting if not more so.  One deals with the future of Apple, the other deals with future of intellectual property.  At issue here is use rights.  To resolve the question we need only look at the Copyright information provided at the Barron's site about the article which reads as follows (note there was no copyright on content of this WebReprints page):

E-mail

E-mail permission allows you to redistribute via e-mail in the English language content from Dow Jones (The Wall Street Journal or Baron's).  The article will be delivered to you as an unprintable PDF.  Simply forward it from your e-mail account to the number of recipients entered when placing your order.

E-mail permission does not give you the right to post the Content online (e.g., on your web site, in a newsgroup or on a bulletin board) or archive it in a database.  Permission to distribute hard copy reprints or create electronic postings of the Content must be obtained separately.   (To post content or a link, see WebReprint permission.)

End of Copyright information.

So while posting a link appears to be within the law sending any or all of the article to our list which is a bulletin board due to its archive nature is a violation of the law.

If in error on the matter of law, Tim, please clarify.

MBurke