[Ti] install prep..how to proceed

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Nov 7 10:29:08 PST 2003

On Nov 7, 2003, at 11:52 AM, T Molnar wrote:

> Panther in hand I am wondering about the best way to handle this
> install.
> I think I would like to reformat the drive or at least optimize it
> so....does it matter?

After doing a number of Panther upgrades, both clean install and
upgrade over the top, it doesn't matter.  No performance is gained by
doing a clean install, only extra time spent restoring the system.  I'd
recommend just upgrading.  It's painless, takes about an hour, and no
reconfiguring or reinstalling applications.

One thing I've found here, though, is a problem with font rendering in
applications like Quicken 2003 and ArcExplorer.  It's only on user
accounts that existed prior to the Panther upgrade.  I finally located
the problem; opening the terminal and deleting the
~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist for each existing user
account fixed it.  The operating system will write a new file in its
place and the fonts look good again.  That file is a dot file, so it's
hidden from Finder unless you have your Finder configured to display
all the unix and dot files.

I assumed this is evidently some incompatibility from Jaguar -->
Panther upgrade that the developers overlooked or didn't catch.
--
Chris